If your horse develops a more serious dental disorder, or a developing problem is identified in advance, we are fully equipped and experienced to deal with any advanced dental problem.
Chris has considerable experience in advanced dentistry and takes referrals from vets and EDTs across the country. Our services include:
- Video oroscopic examinations (all advanced cases are examined and recorded by oral endoscope)
- Oral extractions of cheek teeth, canines and incisors
- Sinus surgery - flaps, trephination and flushes
- Periodontal disease – cleaning, diastema widening, bridging, splinting
- Endodontic (root canal) therapy for e.g. fractured incisors
- Orthodontic therapy e.g. parrot mouth corrections in foals
- Maxillofacial surgery e.g. mandibular (jaw) fracture repair
- Cavity restorations for incisors and cheek teeth
- Minimally invasive surgical techniques for diseased cheek teeth (e.g. transbuccal screw extractions)
All procedures are performed where possible under standing sedation with nerve blocks and local anaesthesia for pain free treatment. Very occasionally general anaesthesia is required, however this is increasingly unnecessary.
Chris has lectured and presented on novel restorative techniques for teeth, and has performed over 240 cheek tooth cavity restorations (‘fillings’) for teeth at risk of fracture with large carious cavities. Chris also collaborates with human dentists in the development of new techniques including root canal therapy for cheek teeth, fissure seals for incomplete fractures, and splints and bridges for periodontal disease. We hope that in developing these techniques, and following research findings and ethical guidelines EDC can help to further advance the science of equine dentistry.
Chris currently performs advanced dentistry and referrals from a number of partner equine practices with suitable facilities. All referrals are arranged through your normal veterinary surgeon.